Hi! I’m Susan J Bruce.
I’m a veterinarian turned writer and artist. I’m also a self-confessed animal addict – so animals photobomb most of the pages of this site. Animals also invade my fiction, usually as cameos to the main act, but they sometimes try and steal the show.
So what will you find here?
- Animal art and photos. Because every great website has animal pictures!
- Thoughts about books/ TV shows/ movies that I’ve enjoyed, especially tales of mystery, suspense, overcoming and love. It’s what I write and it’s what I love to read.
- Interesting facts about the themes in my books.
- Musings Mewsings about my journey from veterinarian to artist and writer.
- And (of course!) news about my books and writing. Please subscribe to my blog – which I’ll aim to publish fortnightly on Sundays – then you won’t miss out on any content.
- If you are a writer you’ll find encouragement plus tips on writing craft, creativity and publishing. I also offer manuscript assessment and editing services so check out the ‘Editing’ link if you’d like to work with me.
- And if you want to hire me to speak at your conference or event please contact me by this contact form.
In the meantime, grab a cuppa, put your feet up and have a look around. I’d love to know who your favourite authors are and what kinds of stories you like so please follow me on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and say, ‘Hi!’.
Would you like a custom portrait painted of your pet?
Do you see love in the eyes of your dog? Would you like to remember your favourite cat or bird forever? I can help! I paint custom animal portraits (acrylic on canvas) from your photo(s). Check out my art page for details.
If They Could Talk
Do you like short stories? Last year my writing group finalised an anthology we’d been working on for a while and they asked me to be editor. If They Could Talk: Bible stories told by the animals, is, as it sounds, a collection of stories where animals give their perspective on events in the bible. Some of the stories are confronting, some are exciting and others will make you giggle, but it was a fun project to work on. If you’d love a copy, the book can be ordered from Morning Star Publishing!